Cleaning Surfaces in Hard Water Areas
Hard water has a couple of benefits as it contains extra minerals including calcium & magnesium which are great for bone & cardiovascular health. If you live in a hard water area you will know this is where the benefits end as it can be a nightmare dealing with limescale deposits around your home.
We regularly get asked how to remove limescale deposits around sinks & draining boards and how to prevent it. This is a fairly simple process you will need:
- Good quality limescale remover such as Viakal
- Old toothbrush
Removing limescale deposits
1. Apply the limescale remover to the areas around your sink and drainer that are scaled up.
2. Leave 5 minutes then gently scrub using the old toothbrush.
3. Rinse & dry the area thoroughly.
More than one application may be required depending on the severity of the limescale. Follow product instructions for exact times that the product should be left on and what it can & can't be used on.
Preventing limescale buildup
Once your surfaces are gleaming like new how do you prevent limescale building up again? To save you hours scrubbing & descaling your surfaces and drainer follow these simple steps.
1. Anything you wash by hand make sure you dry the items. This will be prevent crockery & cutlery dulling.
2. Wipe down & thoroughly dry the whole area around the sink & draining board (including your taps). A good microfibre cloth or ecloth microfibre tea towel are perfect for this.
3. Use a product such as Eagle Solid Surface Cleaner on a regular basis. Eagle Solid Surface Cleaner leaves behind an invisible film which makes water bead and helps repel limescale.
- We do not recommend the use of abrasive cleaners such as Cif cream cleaner or The Pink Stuff paste. These are quite harsh abrasives and together with the hard limescale deposits breaking off they can damage surfaces.
- If you prefer to use a more environmentally friendly limescale remover try lemon juice. You may need to use cotton wool pads or kitchen paper to keep the juice in contact with the limescale deposit. You can also use the half lemon after squeezing to descale the end of your tap - simply push in place.
- You can use the same steps in your bathroom too. Invest in a shower squeegee to use on walls before drying. Do not use Eagle Solid Surface Cleaner on shower trays, baths or floors as the surface may become slippery.